Canada’s metals & mining industry sees a rise of 19.4% in deal activity in February 2020
by David Fleschen
Canada’s metals & mining industry saw a rise of 19.4% in overall deal activity during February 2020, when compared with the last 12-month average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
A total of 43 deals worth $430.73m were announced in February 2020, compared to the 12-month average of 36 deals.
M&A was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 40 deals which accounted for 93.02% of all deals.
In second place was private equity with two deals, followed by venture financing with one transactions, respectively accounting for 4.7% and 2.3% of overall deal activity in the country’s metals & mining industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in Canada’s metals & mining industry with total deals worth $309.99m, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $120.59m and $0.15m, respectively.
Canada metals & mining industry deals in February 2020: Top deals
The top five metals & mining industry deals accounted for 92.3% of the overall value during February 2020.
The combined value of the top five metals & mining deals stood at $397.35m, against the overall value of $430.73m recorded for the month.
The top five metals & mining industry deals of February 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan’s $300m private equity deal with New Gold
- The $49.13m asset transaction with Yamana Gold by Guerrero Ventures
- Tunghsu Group’s $23m acquisition of The Kami MinePartnership
- The $15.13m acquisition of Otis Gold by Excellon Resources
- Alexco Environmental Group- Management Team’s acquisition of Alexco Environmental Group for $10.09m.
Source: Global Data, Photo: Fotolia